|Marlins Coaching Job Description
The Red Deer Marlins Swim Club is looking for enthusiastic and energetic individual(s) to fill coaching position(s) for the summer swim club season. Coaches must be willing to work together, share coaching responsibilities, and be a dedicated team member.
The Marlins are a well-established summer swim club, that is consistently among the top swim clubs in the Province. The Marlins have approximately 85-100 swimmers across 8 skill groups, ranging from developing swimmers to provincial champions. The focus of the club is to develop swimmers with excellent swimming technique, traits of good sportsmanship and team spirit, and to create a positive environment for friendships to develop between swimmers. The club provides a positive atmosphere that focuses on personal growth, where we emphasize effort and improvement. The Marlins parent executive is committed and active in supporting the club to ensure positive swimming experiences for all involved.
- Season length is May to Mid-August
- Practices are Mon-Fri, with morning and evening training sessions
- Competitions include 5-6 swim meets, Regionals (Region D), and ASSA Provincials
- Squad sizes are between 5 and 15 swimmers
- The swimmers are coached in stroke improvement, endurance, swim meet procedures, and in weekend swim meets.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Minimum NCCP Community Sports Coach for Swimming certification.
- NCCP Swimming 101 Certificate of Making Ethical Decisions, or NCCP Swimming 201 Certificate
- Clear Criminal Background (includes Vulnerable Social Sector)
- Strong technical swimming knowledge
- Solid leadership, organization, and communication skills
- Create and implement a competitive swim program for various skill levels
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to maintain positive relationships with coaches, swimmers, families, swim squads, coaching committee, officials, and the public
- Outgoing, energetic, and dedicated
- Work collaboratively with planning events, activities and travel
- Previous coaching experience, swim instruction or competitive swimming experience preferred.
Qualifications and Skills
- Coordination, supervision, and coaching of all swimmers for all training and competitions in conjunction with the coaching team.
- Supervision, squad meetings, coaching team meetings, performance evaluations, training, discipline, coordination and delegation of pool/club responsibilities for the coaching team
- Represents Marlins as a coach official at swim meets, and communicate with pool managers and staff.
- Seasonal, monthly, weekly, daily planning of all training activities and competitions in conjunction with coaching team.
- Instruct, observe, and correct swimming techniques with appropriate feedback
- Complete ASSA entries for meets
- Collaboratively create relay teams for swim meets, Regionals, and Provincials
- Communicate clearly with swimmers, parents/guardians, coaches, and club executive
- Involvement in planning and participating in club activities pertaining to team spirit, team building, and games/fitness
- Provide updates for newsletter/website/social media
- Organize year-end awards in collaboration with coaches and executive
- Strive to lead the recruitment and retention of swimmers within the club
- Report to the coaching committee and the club executive
- We offer a competitive salary which is based on the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience.
- Salaries range from $17.50 to $24 per hour, and there is compensation for planning and attending swim meets.
Applicants please email cover letter, resume and references attention to:
Coaching Committee firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type: Part-time, with potential for additional hours